January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 04 10:08

Re: [vox-tech] my computer has no name

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 11:40:43PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> troy,
>
> thank you!  yes, hostname.sh must be it.   but now i'm totally confused:
>
>    # The init script comes from sysvinit.
>    satan# dpkg -S hostname.sh
>    sysvinit: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

[...]
> shouldn't apt-get install --reinstall have installed this file?
> according to dpkg, the file should be there:

It's in the initscripts package:
[troy@Saiph ~]
$ dpkg -S hostname.sh
initscripts: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

$ apt-file search hostname.sh

initscripts: etc/init.d/hostname.sh

Now what is interesting, is that when i did an apt-file search the first
time, the output showed something that seemed to indicate hostname.sh was
part of sysvinit.  But when I unpacked the deb it wasn't there.  Then,
after an 'apt-file update' I get results as above.  I don't know
where/how these tools get their info -- I think I need to go read
/usr/share/doc/apt

Glad you're close to being back in action.

-troy