2003 May 03 18:44

Re: [vox-tech] my computer has no name

I think I had a similar problem before, though I just checked the log file
instead of running strace to find out why Apache was flipping out :)

I think I ended up editing /etc/HOSTNAME or /etc/hostname and/or
/etc/hosts, but I think that was some RedHat thing.  The real thing is
apparently done via `hostname`, a program run from one of the startup
scripts.

Debian probably stores the hostname in some standard place and reads it
from the startup script and sets the hostname using `hostname`.

-Mark

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> apache refuses to run.  using strace, i figured out it's because apache
> doesn't know my system's name (i wish it printed some kind of error
> msg instead of forcing me to use strace).
>
> using strace again on hostname led me to look at uname.
>
> using strace on uname led me to a system call named uname().
>
> looking at the man page for uname() led me to what i believe to be why
> apache isn't running on my system:
>
>    satan# cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname
>    (none)
>
> this is kernel data.  does anybody know how the kernel discovers the
> hostname?   please no function calls.  i'm talking about where it's done
> in the bootup/init process.  i prolly could've guessed this since my
> login screen looks like this:
>
>    Debian GNU/Linux 3.0  (none) tty4
>    (none) login:
>
> and uname -a shows something similar.  ugh.  :(
>
> pete
>

> --

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/