2003 May 03 18:46

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

Just taking a stab in the dark...

Is the CD drive IDE?  If not (SCSI or one of those funky sound-card driven
ones), then it may not boot off it.

Also, is the hard drive IDE?  I don't know much about SCSI hard drives,
but as I recall they got their own BIOS action going... maybe it
interferes with the mobo BIOS.

If all else fails, boot off the floppy!  After all, all bootable CDs are
are CDs with a bootable 1.44MB floppy image.  Just find the image
(somehow) and make a floppy on a good computer.

-Mark

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> today i had to recover a linux system with filesystem damage.
>
> it made a bad situation worse when i found that even when BIOS is set to
> boot off of cd first (any CD), it doesn't work.  the system ignores the
> CD in the drive and boots off of the hard disk instead.
>
> i verified that the CD were bootable on another machine.  this machine
> simply does not boot off of a CD despite the boot order in BIOS.
>
> what could cause such a thing?  the CD drive is kind of old, but i don't
> think that would make a difference.  perhaps there are some other BIOS
> options i'm not familiar.
>
> any guesses to help me out?
>
> thanks,
> pete