2003 May 05 08:26

[vox-tech] my computer has no name

apache refuses to run.  using strace, i figured out it's because apache
doesn't know my system's name (i wish it printed some kind of error
msg instead of forcing me to use strace).

using strace again on hostname led me to look at uname.

using strace on uname led me to a system call named uname().

looking at the man page for uname() led me to what i believe to be why
apache isn't running on my system:

   satan# cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname
   (none)

this is kernel data.  does anybody know how the kernel discovers the
hostname?   please no function calls.  i'm talking about where it's done
in the bootup/init process.  i prolly could've guessed this since my
login screen looks like this:

   Debian GNU/Linux 3.0  (none) tty4
   (none) login:

and uname -a shows something similar.  ugh.  :(

pete