2003 May 03 17:32

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
today i had to recover a linux system with filesystem damage.

it made a bad situation worse when i found that even when BIOS is set to
boot off of cd first (any CD), it doesn't work.  the system ignores the
CD in the drive and boots off of the hard disk instead.

i verified that the CD were bootable on another machine.  this machine
simply does not boot off of a CD despite the boot order in BIOS

what could cause such a thing?  the CD drive is kind of old, but i don't
think that would make a difference.  perhaps there are some other BIOS
options i'm not familiar.

any guesses to help me out?

thanks,
pete

Take a look at the following url:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

and look at the information in the section "How does a PC boot from CD-Rom? (technical)"

Yes, I know this is a Windows/dos site, but it does have some really good information on bootable cd's

Stephen