2003 May 03 18:09

[vox-tech] booting off cd help

today i had to recover a linux system with filesystem damage.

it made a bad situation worse when i found that even when BIOS is set to
boot off of cd first (any CD), it doesn't work.  the system ignores the
CD in the drive and boots off of the hard disk instead.

i verified that the CD were bootable on another machine.  this machine
simply does not boot off of a CD despite the boot order in BIOS.

what could cause such a thing?  the CD drive is kind of old, but i don't
think that would make a difference.  perhaps there are some other BIOS
options i'm not familiar.

any guesses to help me out?

thanks,
pete