2003 May 02 17:33

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless cards and orinoco patching woes

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless cards and orinoco patching woes

All,

> 6. scanning works!

Alas, I spoke too soon. Immediately after bootup, scanning generates a
"No scan results" message regardless of how close I am to a wireless hub.

About 30 seconds after the system has fully booted (why does it take so
long?) I get a high beep that indiciates that the PCMCIA services have
correctly configured the card. Scanning any time after the beep generates
a message like the below:

Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable

The README that came with the Orinoco driver suggests one of two typical
causes for this error:

1. The hermes.conf file needs to be copied from the orinoco driver
   directory into /etc/pcmcia. (This I did, but after restarting PCMCIA
   services -- and even a complete reboot -- it made no difference). All
   the necessary devices are bound to orinoco_cs, as they ought to be.
   /etc/pcmcia/config looks good as far as I can see, too.

2. The kernel needs to be built with ISA support. (It is.)

I am slightly unsettled by the fact that my Google (web and
groups) skills have been insufficient to locate any descriptions
of anyone receiving this error (alone) at scan time; most seem to
get it long before.

Any ideas? d-: (I'm sure you are all _thoroughly_ entertained by my
continual posts to the list about my efforts to get my card working...)

Jonathan.