2003 Apr 30 14:02

Re: [vox-tech] GL chunking problems

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:10:51PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> damn, you never say everything you meant to get out.   ok, a few notes:
>
> begin Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
> >
> > if DRI is enabled, run glgears both as root and as non-root.  see if you
> > get a speed increase as root.  you should be able to get 500-600 fps
> > both as root and non-root.  if you don't, the howto tells how to fix
> > this.
>
> for an 800MHz celeron with a 3dfx V5, you should be getting more like
> 600-700, i believe.
>
> > if DRI is enabled and glxgears isn't giving you about 500-600 fps for
> > root and non-root, then it's a library problem.  there are a few
> > utilities you can use to help diagnose the problem, and they're
> > mentioned in the HOWTO.
>
> the output of glxgears (aside from the fps) will be helpful.
>
> > begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> > >
> > > Once I got tuxracer to run smoothly, I downloaded the latest Mesa
> > > libraries (Mesa 5.01). Once installed, quake3 now ran smoothly.  I was
> > > then able to run Half Life and the aot port of Hexen II smoothly.
>
> how are you running half life?   win4lin, i thought, doesn't do *any*
> direct X.  i thought that only wine, winex and rewind can do half life.

Actually, I broke down and signed up WineX. It is well worth the $5 a
month. :-) You're right--win4lin doesn't do DirectX.

> also, how are you running hexen II?   AFAIK, there aren't any ports of
> hexen II to linux.  i hope i'm wrong!   :) :) :)

Guess what--you get to be wrong in this case! :-) Check out Anvil of
Thyrion:

http://aot.linuxgames.com/

Apparently Ravensoft released the source code to Hexen II, so the above
site has links to the linux port. Waaay cool. Now, if I can only get my
system back to running correctly... :(