2003 Apr 30 14:02

Re: [vox-tech] GL chunking problems

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:03:31PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > if DRI is enabled and glxgears isn't giving you about 500-600 fps for
> > root and non-root, then it's a library problem.  there are a few
> > utilities you can use to help diagnose the problem, and they're
> > mentioned in the HOWTO.
>
> My problem is definitely falling in this category. The utilities you
> mention in the FAQ--are you talking about section 5.1 "Getting
> information about your X system?"

yah.  i'm in the middle working on my dissertation (you may or may not
have noticed me AWOL for the past month or two), but i'll try to help as
much as i'm able.   btw, i wrote the HOWTO.  there's also a linux
gamers' FAQ which is very good at game-specific problems.  however, it
might also have some relevent stuff for you.

can you give me the output of glxgears?

also, i'm running a 3dfx voodoo 5 on my dual celeron box, and everything
works great.  you may want to try to identically "sync" your libraries
to what i have (you're running testing, right?):

p@satan$ dpkg -l "*mesa*"
pn  giram-gnome-me <none>         (no description available)
pn  giram-mesa     <none>         (no description available)
un  libglu1-mesa   <none>         (no description available)
un  libglu1-mesa-d <none>         (no description available)
un  libosmesa4     <none>         (no description available)
un  libosmesa4-dev <none>         (no description available)
un  mesa-common-de <none>         (no description available)
un  mesa-dev       <none>         (no description available)
un  mesa-glide2-de <none>         (no description available)
ii  mesademos      3.4.2-1        Example programs for Mesa (and OpenGL in gen
rn  mesag-dev      <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag-glide2-d <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag-widgets- <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag3         <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag3+ggi     <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag3+ggi-dev <none>         (no description available)
un  mesag3-glide   <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag3-glide2  <none>         (no description available)
pn  mesag3-widgets <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibmesa-dev   4.2.1-6        XFree86 Mesa development libraries pseudopac
ii  xlibmesa-gl-de 4.2.1-6        Mesa 3D graphics library development files [
ii  xlibmesa-glu-d 4.2.1-6        Mesa OpenGL utility library development file
ii  xlibmesa3      4.2.1-6        XFree86 Mesa libraries pseudopackage
pn  xlibmesa3-dbg  <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibmesa3-gl   4.2.1-6        Mesa 3D graphics library [XFree86]
un  xlibmesa3-gl-d <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibmesa3-glu  4.2.1-6        Mesa OpenGL utility library [XFree86]
un  xlibmesa3-glu- <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibosmesa-dev 4.2.1-6        Mesa off-screen rendering library developmen
ii  xlibosmesa3    4.2.1-6        Mesa off-screen rendering library [XFree86]
pn  xlibosmesa3-db <none>         (no description available)

p@satan$ dpkg -l "*xlib*"
pn  libxlib-ocaml  <none>         (no description available)
pn  python-xlib    <none>         (no description available)
un  python-xlib-do <none>         (no description available)
un  python2.1-xlib <none>         (no description available)
un  python2.2-xlib <none>         (no description available)
un  texlib         <none>         (no description available)
un  xlib           <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlib6          3.3.6-44       shared libraries required by libc5 X clients
pn  xlib6-altdev   <none>         (no description available)
un  xlib6-static   <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlib6g         4.2.1-3        pseudopackage providing X libraries
ii  xlib6g-dev     4.2.1-3        pseudopackage providing X library developmen
pn  xlib6g-static  <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibmesa-dev   4.2.1-6        XFree86 Mesa development libraries pseudopac
ii  xlibmesa-gl-de 4.2.1-6        Mesa 3D graphics library development files [
ii  xlibmesa-glu-d 4.2.1-6        Mesa OpenGL utility library development file
ii  xlibmesa3      4.2.1-6        XFree86 Mesa libraries pseudopackage
pn  xlibmesa3-dbg  <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibmesa3-gl   4.2.1-6        Mesa 3D graphics library [XFree86]
un  xlibmesa3-gl-d <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibmesa3-glu  4.2.1-6        Mesa OpenGL utility library [XFree86]
un  xlibmesa3-glu- <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibosmesa-dev 4.2.1-6        Mesa off-screen rendering library developmen
ii  xlibosmesa3    4.2.1-6        Mesa off-screen rendering library [XFree86]
pn  xlibosmesa3-db <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibs          4.2.1-6        X Window System client libraries
pn  xlibs-dbg      <none>         (no description available)
ii  xlibs-dev      4.2.1-6        X Window System client library development f
ii  xlibs-pic      4.2.1-6        X Window System client extension library PIC

try this first, and if it still doesn't work, i'll think more about the
problem tonight.  kay?

hth,
pete