2003 Apr 30 12:55

Re: [vox-tech] GL chunking problems

damn, you never say everything you meant to get out.   ok, a few notes:

begin Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>

> if DRI is enabled, run glgears both as root and as non-root.  see if you
> get a speed increase as root.  you should be able to get 500-600 fps
> both as root and non-root.  if you don't, the howto tells how to fix
> this.

for an 800MHz celeron with a 3dfx V5, you should be getting more like
600-700, i believe.

> if DRI is enabled and glxgears isn't giving you about 500-600 fps for
> root and non-root, then it's a library problem.  there are a few
> utilities you can use to help diagnose the problem, and they're
> mentioned in the HOWTO.

the output of glxgears (aside from the fps) will be helpful.

> begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> >
> > Once I got tuxracer to run smoothly, I downloaded the latest Mesa
> > libraries (Mesa 5.01). Once installed, quake3 now ran smoothly.  I was
> > then able to run Half Life and the aot port of Hexen II smoothly.

how are you running half life?   win4lin, i thought, doesn't do *any*
direct X.  i thought that only wine, winex and rewind can do half life.

also, how are you running hexen II?   AFAIK, there aren't any ports of
hexen II to linux.  i hope i'm wrong!   :) :) :)

pete