2003 Apr 30 12:25

Re: [vox-tech] GL chunking problems

doug,

the linux gamers' howto will definitely help you here.  you also have
the benefit of knowing its author.   ;-)   it's on your system right
now, if you installed the HOWTO's on your system.

briefly, the first thing the HOWTO says is:

start X with:

startx 2>$HOME/x11.logfile

then look for a line that looks like:

   (II) XXXXXXX: Direct rendering enabled

where XXXXXX give the name of the driver that X is using for your video
card.  if you don't see this, then you need to learn why DRI is failing.
chances are extremely good that the clue is in the log file.

if DRI is enabled, run glgears both as root and as non-root.  see if you
get a speed increase as root.  you should be able to get 500-600 fps
both as root and non-root.  if you don't, the howto tells how to fix
this.

if DRI is enabled and glxgears isn't giving you about 500-600 fps for
root and non-root, then it's a library problem.  there are a few
utilities you can use to help diagnose the problem, and they're
mentioned in the HOWTO.

i'd need more information (based on the stuff i just wrote above) to
diagnose further.

hth,
pete

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>