2003 Apr 30 09:54

Re: [vox-tech] macos x questions

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:03:25PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i've never seen mac os x, but it looks like i may have to use one this
> summer for work.   i have some questions about it:
>
> does it have gcc?  vim?  gnuplot?  gnu make?
>
> is there a shell i can use (preferably bash)?  or is the whole operating
> system point and click like windows?

Mac OS X consists of three parts: Mach (a microkernel, safely ignored by the
user, Darwin (a BSD hybrid OS with all typical UNIX parts except X under a
non-Free Open Source license*), and Aqua (Apple's proprietary display
manager, analogous to X but completely incompatible). As for the applications
mentioned, all are available if you compile and install them.

* This has been the subject of much controversy. OSF considers it an Open
  Source license, but GNU does not recognize Apple's license as Free for some
  very good reasons. See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html for GNU's
  analysis.

--
Henry House