2003 Apr 28 14:52

Re: [vox-tech] Brain fart: making one linux box talk to another

"Richard Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> writes:

> Now, I'd like to access my /home/richard directory on my new
> computer from my usual desktop.  This directory is set up as a Samba
> share so that I can get to it from my WinXP computer, but it seems
> silly to have to do a smbmount from my regular box to get to this
> directory.

Hello Richard,

The smbmount command seems like the way to go.  What other method did
you have in mind?  If you don't want to do this manually, stick a line
in /etc/fstab so it happens automatically.  You'll be ok, as long as
the server is always up when you desktop boots.  Or were you thinking
along the lines of an automounter for smb shares?

> And, strangely, making two Linux boxes talk to each other is
> something I haven't had to do yet.
>
> How do I even start?

It sounds like you already have the answer, unless there are more
details.  Can the two boxes ping each other?

HTH,
--
Ricardo Anguiano
http://www.codesourcery.com