2003 Apr 28 14:30

re: [vox-tech] disabling dhcp at startup

On 25 Apr 2003, Charles McLaughlin wrote:

> Thanks for the help.
>
> I ended up commenting out these lines in /etc/init.d/networking:
>
> #	echo -n "Configuring network interfaces... "
> #       ifup -a
> #       echo "done."
>
> Now I just can type ifup to bring up the interface as needed.  I think
> this is basically what what Jeff suggested, except I edited a different
> config file. ;-)

It is generally preferred to avoid editing init.d scripts.  Creating a new
one is pretty normal, but the scripts from packages generally ought to be
maintained by the package manager... and if they really need changing you
should be submitting your changes to him/her.

> Weird tho...  I took a peek at my version of ifup and it looks like a
> binary file.  And it seems that Red Hat's ifup is a shell script....
> hmmm.

I don't know why.  The verbosity of the source for the ifupdown package
used by Debian (written in Knuth's "Literate Programming" style) might
have inspired someone to revisit the problem with more brevity.

> Now all I need is to get my wireless card working and I'll be set!

Details, details... plenty to keep a Linuxhead happy.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing