January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 25 14:39

Re: [vox-tech] disabling dhcp at startup

Re: [vox-tech] disabling dhcp at startup

Charles

I am running RH8 and I had the opposite problem. When ifup would test for a cable connection, it wouldn't find one and quit, even if my laptop was in fact connected. Interestingly enough, I do not experience this proplem with other machines.

Although I know next to nothing about shell scripts, I took a look at ifup and found these lines:

# if check_link_down ${DEVICE}; then
# echo $" failed; no link present. Check cable?"
# ip link set ${DEVICE} down >/dev/null 2>&1
# exit 1
# fi

When I comment out this part (as pasted above), it is able find an IP address by DHCP, and my network connections works just fine. If I am not connected, however, my system does hang for about 1 minute at the ifup step, but eventually times out and fails the network connection appropriately.

I wonder if you could insert this in your ifup, or if you could just use the RH ifup directly?

Jonathan