2003 Apr 16 14:00

Re: [vox-tech] introduction & debian / mutt / exim question

Re: [vox-tech] introduction & debian / mutt / exim question

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:31:17AM -0700, Jonathan McPherson wrote:
> I am struggling with getting Exim to perform reliably.=20
[...]
> frequently, e-mail never arrives at its destination.=20
[...]
> Any ideas?

  The message you sent to this list appears to have come directly=20
from fastmail.fm... not enough information to comment.

- What do you see in /var/log/exim ?
  (check mainlog and paniclog)

- When you send email via exim what hostname does it claim to come from?

- How static is your external IP address on the DSL line?
  (zgrep 'local  IP' /var/log/messages*)

Steps to collect more useful information:

  - Setup your machine so that it sends mail directly,=20
    - send to your own UCD address
      - check if it gets through.
      - check what exim logs say. =20
 =20
  - Repeat the test above with exim configured to relay via=20
    pacbell and fastmail.fm.

  Send message headers, relevant exim log lines, and your observations=20
from those tests.

    Good Luck,
      Mike Simons

ps:
  You should be using pacbell as a relay if they are your ISP.

  I have a SBC DSL line as well but I don't use it to send outbound
mail... so I don't have a configuration to send.  If something weird is
really going on I can get it working here and send the config examples.

--=20

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--