2003 Apr 08 22:47

Re: [vox-tech] DNS Registrar: Gandi.net?

Ryan Detert wrote:

> I use www.godaddy.com I have never had any problems, billing or otherwise.
> I'm not sure if gandi offers this, but you have the option of hiding your
> personal contact information so that your name and address don't pop up
> when someone does a WHOIS.

I've switched to godaddy for all my new registrations. I like their
maintenance
screens. But more importantly, when you do a whois on their server, they
first respond with a prompt to enter a code that traps spam snoops. Based on
this, I believe that all of my spam comes from snoops to the other registrars.

As far as the personal information hiding, I'm dubious. By hiding your
personal
information, you're trusing a third party as an agent for identification.
If godaddy ever goes under, it might be hard to recover your rights when
they sell their assets.