January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 07 12:08

Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver Issue

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 03:01:15PM +0530, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
> our Main site running in florida which ofcourse we will soon move it to NY.

Karthikeyan,

  I don't know where to begin.

> we also have another 2 name server ns.gihs.com , ns2.gihs.com (both these
> server are down)

- Why are they both down?
- When will they be back up?

  If both ns and ns2 are not going to be your name servers you should
remove them from your DNS registration (which I think is managed by
whois.dotregistrar.com).

  If ns1 is going to be a new DNS server which you want to publicly
serve your domain you should add it to the whois entry.

> I tried to add ns1.gihs.com to opensrs add new nameserver feature but it
> says it cannot find the name server.
>
> I have given ns1.gihs.com as primary name server.

  ns1.gihs.com is not a valid it is not listed in the DNS entries
hosted on host.gihs.com which is currently your only working DNS
server.  Add an entry for ns1 to host.gihs.com first and then
that might work.

> I always get 2 popup window when i log into Cpanel.
>
> what values should i give for these boxes
>
> <snip>
>       Primary Resolver
>       Secondary Resolver
>       Teritary Resolver
> </snip>

  I'm not familiar with OpenSRS ... so I don't know what that pop-up means.

> <snip: what does this mean>
> The server was unable to lookup an an A entry for its hostname
> (ns1.gihs.com). This is generally because the entry was never added. However
> this could also be the result of your nameserver(s) being down. If you would
> like to attempt to automaticlly add the entry
> </snip: what does this mean>

  That means exactly what it says... a entry for name ns1 to address
doesn't exist... so you can't use the name 'ns1' yet.

> But still i get the same message every time i log in.  Am i making some
> mistake here.

  You appear to be thinking 'ns1' is a valid nameserver when 'host'
is really the name server ... try running this opensrs stuff against
'host'.

  I don't know if any of that helps.

    Later,
      Mike Simons