2003 Mar 30 12:45

Re: [vox-tech] Re: Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:43:48AM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> > - Can you try the RemotePoint on the console and tell me if motion works?
> > - If motion works, does pasting?
>
> Motion for the RemotePoint mouse does not work on the console.
> Moving the mouse on the console causes lines of text to be highlighted
> and apparently pasted.

Robin,

  Okay so the ideal situation is we find a mouse protocol that "gpm"
can use for both mice... we know that imps2 does works with the logitech
but not RemotePoint, we know that ps2 works with the RemotePoint but not
logitech.

  Below is a list of mouse protocols that gpm supports that I think are
likely to work with your mice... in the order I recommend trying them.
Basically put one of these into /etc/gpm.conf at a time, and try using
both mice on the console to see if you can move and paste with them.
(If you don't reboot after changing /etc/gpm.conf you will at least need
to restart gpm via the command: "/etc/init.d/gpm restart").
If you find any protocol that works stop and report back...

===
gpm 1.19.6, Thu Oct  4 00:21:21 CEST 2001
Available mouse types are:

name (synonym)       description

autops2            - For PS/2 type mouse, specific protocol will be
                     auto detected
exps2 (ExplorerPS/2) - IntelliMouse Explorer (ps2) - 3 buttons
                       (wheel is repeated).
fuimps2            - For BROKEN wheel mice on a PS/2 port
   (round connector with 6 pins), 3 buttons (wheel is repeated).
fups2 (PS/2)       - For /BROKEN/ PS/2 mice (round with 6 metal pins).
imps2              - For the Microsoft IntelliMouse on a PS/2 port
   (round connector with 6 pins), 3 buttons (wheel is repeated).
ps2 (PS/2)         - For PS/2 mice (round with 6 metal pins).
===

  If you don't find one that works with both mice and want to try more...
'gpm -t help' will give you a complete list of all mice types that
are supported... you can try the rest that look interesting.

  If we don't find something that works with both mice, there are a few
options...
- find a way to toggle between the two protocols that do work.
- abandon getting the mouse working on console and just work on in X.

  TTFN,
    Mike