2003 Mar 30 08:35

Re: [vox-tech] BIOS Not Installed?

--On Saturday, March 29, 2003 09:02:23 PM -0800 "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

First, when turning the computer on, it displays a message in red
reading, "Abnormal Hardware Configuration -- Press Enter to Continue".
Once we've pressed Enter, the system does a memory check (several of
them); it detects the hard drive successfully; it then gives a message
reading, "BIOS Not Installed".
Googling on that error suggests this system has an Adaptec SCSI controller, a Promise RAID IDE controller, or something similar installed. The typical PC BIOS only supports booting from its own IDE controllers. To boot from a SCSI or RAID setup, the addon controller has to install a hook into the BIOS. Here, the message means the controller didn't find any bootable devices and so didn't install the hook. It's a harmless error unless the boot drive in fact works through that controller.
--
Ken Herron