2003 Mar 30 13:52

[no subject]

"set keymap vi" is part of the standard Gnu bash distribution,
as documented in the Bash Reference Manual, 2.5a-th ed., 11/2001.

Thusly speaketh the man page (excuse please the fleckths of
thspittle on the thscreen, I blame the dentithst):

       keymap (emacs)
              Set the current readline keymap.  The set of  valid
              keymap  names is emacs, emacs-standard, emacs-meta,
              emacs-ctlx, vi, vi-command, and vi-insert.   vi  is
              equivalent  to  vi-command;  emacs is equivalent to
              emacs-standard.  The default value  is  emacs;  the
              value  of  editing-mode  also  affects  the default
              keymap.

That "(emacs)" in the first line gives the default value.
Also, under man 3 readline, the section on default key
bindings lists the complete "VI Mode bindings". Werner Fink
is credited with the inputrc file, which also has these lines:

$if term=xterm
"\e[5;5~":  history-search-backward
"\e[6;5~":  history-search-forward
$endif
"\e[C":     forward-char
"\e[D":     backward-char
"\e[A":     previous-history
"\e[B":     next-history

Maybe that's the magic you've been looking for?

--
Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. The competent,
of course, make it their *first* resort.