2003 Mar 17 02:50

Re: [vox-tech] re:Help a Newbie to run Linux on my Win98 System

Re: [vox-tech] re:Help a Newbie to run Linux on my Win98 System

begin karthikeyan.balasubramanian <karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com>
> Oh btw sorry for cross posting.  It a pretty interesting concept though.  I
> thought cross posting is
> something like we should not have To address to vox-tex as well CC to vox.

hi karthikeyan,

crossposting means sending the same email to two different mailing
lists.

> So I thought if I send it separately it would do just fine.  Anyway
> now I understand that both are same.

technical questions go to vox-tech.  non-technical questions go to vox.
your question was technical, so it belongs on vox-tech.

> Btw my Linux installation went great.  It was not as tough I thought it
> would be.
>
> Simple trick here is just to understand few things like
> 1. windows uses VFAT and Linux uses EXT2 filesystem

you probably mean ext3.  i'm fairly certain redhat doesn't use vanilla
ext2 anymore.

> 2. C drive is your hda1, D drive hda5 and E drive hda6

it doesn't work this way.  this is how things "arranged themselves" for
your system.

hda1 is always the 1st partition on your primary IDE master.

your C drive does NOT have to be 1st partition on your primary IDE
master.   it can be the 7th partition on the secondary IDE slave.

?

> Btw I made lots of improvements too.  I used mount command to access my
> windows file.
>
> Yesterday only I Installed Wine to access Windows program not that
> successful.  I installed it.
>
> It took some half an hour to compile that program.  Finally when I did
>
> whereis wine
>
> I got nothing.  Anybody here successful with Wine?

don't use whereis.  whereis has a hardcoded search path.  there are
better tools.

make sure PATH is set up sanely and use which.

if you're having trouble, you may want to look into winex.  especially
if you're trying to play win32 games.   but it's also packaged well, so
winex might be useful even if you're not trying to use something that
uses directx.

if you want DOS or win16 stuff, use dosemu.

there might be some more useful information about running windows
software in the linux gamers' howto.  :-)   :-)   :-)

snip

hth,
pete