2003 Mar 17 13:50

[vox-tech] re:Help a Newbie to run Linux on my Win98 System

<karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com>
> To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:54:14 +0530
> Subject: [vox-tech] Help a Newbie to run Linux on my Win98 System
>
> Hi,
>
>   I got 3 Redhat Linux CDs from a friend of mine and planning to install it
> on my Windows 98 System.
> Just wondering what are all the precautions I need to take.  I just want to
> make myself prepared before
> going about this job.  Not sure what will happen lol.
>
>   My System Configuration
>
>   P4 1.4 Ghz
>   Mercury Motherboard
>   40 GB Hard disk (IDE)
>   256MB RAM
>   Logitech Mouse
>   HP Deskjet Printer
>   Logitech Cam
>
>   I have 3 partitions.
>
>   C:  All my windows program resides here 13 GB
>   D:  All my files, back files etc 14 GB
>   E: I kept this blank thinking that some day I shall install Linux here :).
> 13 GB
>
>   I want to install Redhat Linux on partition E:
>
>   PS : I searched through google and found something interesting for doing
> this job.
>          1.  I need to run windows defragmention utility first.
>          2.  I need to use Lilo or Grub (I never knew what this is)
>
>   Thing is I want something very simple so that I can get started quickly.
> I want dual boot feature.
>
>   Help me please
>
>   Have a great day.
>
> Karthikeyan B

Hi Karthikeyan

Here is what I do:
1). I create the partitions I need. (eg: split the third partition 12.5gig for
Linux, and 0.5gig for Linux swap).
2). Install Windows (you already have done this).
3). Install Linux (with lilo in MBR). Now, by default Linux will boot instead of
Windows. But Windows is still there.
4). Install eXtended Operating System Loader (from www.xosl.org) on the Windows
partition. You will need
      a Win9x/dos boot disk to install XOSL on the fat32 partition. It's a GREAT
GUI bootloader.
5). When setting up the OS's in XOSL, select "Old MBR" instead of the Linux
partition.
6). Modify the GUI of XOSL so that your prefered OS will boot as default, and
hot keys for the other, etc.

This is a very simple method of dual booting, without having to learn about grub
and lilo. Others will have different
suggestions.

However, if you have access to SuSE 8.1, it can set all this up dual boot for
you. No extra software
needed. It's very clever. This is a better option. :-)

Regards,
Dietrich