2003 Mar 14 15:28

Re: [vox-tech] mounting an external drive

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:06:39PM -0800, Jennifer Stickel wrote:
> I have an external drive setup through a firewire on a Sony laptop.  I
> think I have one of the partitions on the drive setup at ext3....but how
> can I make sure that it it?

run:  tune2fs -l /dev/sda7 | grep features

Change /dev/hda1 to be whatever partition you want to check.

output should look something:
===
Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype needs_recovery sparse_super
===

If you have "has_journal" it's ext3.
If you don't it's ext2.
If you get an error, it's the wrong partition.

Another option is:
cat /etc/mounts

  Which will tell you what filesystem driver currently is currently
loaded, for each mountpoint.  if you don't see ext3 it is not mounted as
ext3.

> Also how can I mount it so that any user and not just root can write to it?

mount the partition, then run:
  chmod 1777 /LinuxExtra

> I have tried modifying my fstab file
> a few times this is what I have now (I can mount it as ext2 or ext3).  I
> can mount the drive as a user now but still can't write to it.
>
>    /dev/sda7               /LinuxExtra             ext2
>    users,rw,exec        0 0
[...]
> I would like to be able to mount this on boot and this fstab does that
> except that I can't write to it.  Thanks

  Change ext2 to ext3, umount it, mount it again, run the chmod from
above, and you should be able to write.  If that fails send another
message and include the output from the commands you ran, and
  ls -ld /LinuxExtra

    TTFN,
      Mike