2003 Mar 12 21:08

Re: [vox-tech] full screen media player

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 02:12:44PM -0800, ryan wrote:

> Actually, I found that VLC works great, full screens and plays dvds.
> It is
> fine for playing my divx and dvds so far, I found that it isn't the most
> reliable at playing other avis I have. Sometimes one file will work,
> sometimes the same file wont. (is there any way to make vlc cover up my
> gnome taskbar?)
>
> I found that mplayer plays anything under the sun, it has played every
> file I've thrown at it, even files that don't play under windoze. I found
> that 'mplayer -fs -vm' gave me mediocre results. It scaled some files to
> take up the entire screen, but it displayed most videos larger than their
> default but still much smaller than full screen. 'mplayer -fs -zoom' blew
> everything up to full screen but it was pretty laggy and the audio sync
> was horribly off.

Weird, I was just trying to figure this out myself earlier today.
Here's what I ended up doing to play a vcd:

mplayer -autosync 25 -vop scale -xy 1.5 -zoom -vcd 1

"-vop scale -xy 1.5 -zoom" is the key to the scaling.

I had to bump down autosync because my CPU couldn't keep up whilst doing
the software scaling.

No idea if there's a "better" way, but that worked for me.

-troy