2003 Mar 30 08:35

[vox-tech] swapping mice

having switched over to a Logitech Mouseman mouse for a specific task,
I want to switch back to my regular mouse, a RemotePoint, for other tasks.
I have two XF86Config-4's, one for each mouse.  The one for the
RemotePoint has worked fine in the past.  The one for the Mouseman is the
one I'm still struggling to configure properly.  When I want to use a
given mouse, I let XF86Config-4 be a symbolic link to one of these files.

This seems like the best way to do this, and yet, when I switched
XF86Config-4 to point to my old, RemotePoint file, my old mouse no longer
works.  It is plugged in and getting some kind of data.  (The receiver box
lights up.)  I shut down X using ctrl-alt-backspace.  No go.  I even tried
rebooting, in case ctrl-alt-backspace didn't shut enough processes down.
(I don't think it does.  Had to reboot to get the Mouseman working again.)
What am I missing?  (And can I do this without rebooting?)

			- robin.