January 6: Social gathering
2003 Mar 11 11:31

[vox-tech] Static IP Addresses On Home LAN

[vox-tech] Static IP Addresses On Home LAN

Hi All,

This is a followup to the thread on "ssh on home
network", but really is a new topic.

I've been reading the Red Hat 8.0 docs on interface
config [1], which describes two approaches for ip
addresses.  With the fixed address approach, the
ifcfg-eth0 [2] file looks like this:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
NETWORK=10.0.1.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=10.0.1.27
USERCTL=no

When ip info is provided by dhcp, the file could look
like this:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

But my router, a Netgear FR314, will provide static or
dynamic addresses.  I can add a static addr and the
right mac address and have a seemingly stable fixed ip
address.

My rh7.2 box uses this approach.  Despite scores of
hangs and reboots it still has the same ip address.

If I go the dhcp static approach, then I must get the
mac address, and then configure the router before the
new box is on the lan, otherwise, it will get a
dynamic address.

That's what happened with my rh8.0 box, I think.  It
picked up .3, which is in the dynamic range.

If I go the Red Hat docs approach for fixed addresses,
then I would just need to provide an ip address during
install.  No mac address stuff, no router update
stuff.  Is that right?

What else am I missing?  Which is a better approach?
Why?

Thanks very much for all the help provide so far,
Jim

[1]
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html
[2] /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0