2003 Mar 12 21:01

Re: [vox-tech] full screen media player

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:54:28AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> I am currently using mplayer to play divX, and I can't get it to play in
> any resolution other than the default resolution for the divX. Is there
> a good program that isn't too much hassle to install that will play dvds
> or divX at full screen?

I have found the Linux Video Lan Client and Xine to be much faster
than mplayer (for me, anyway) at playing DVDs. Both support
fullscreen. However, out of the three, only with mplayer can I change
the resolution: I'm surprised you're having problems; I assume you've
tried the -x and -y options...

Video Lan Client:

  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Xine:

  http://xinehq.de/

With Xine, you'll want the DVD-Navigation tools:

  http://dvd.sourceforge.net/

VLC are very comparable in speed. I haven't really noticed a
difference lately, but I seem to remember noticing VLC being
*slightly* faster. So I generally use Xine when I want the
navigational screens, and VLC when I want to just watch the main title
(and it's either title 1 or I know which one).

Oh, and if you don't use it already, enabling DMA for your DVD drive
makes a *huge* speed difference.

HTH,
-Micah