2003 Mar 11 08:40

Re: [vox-tech] SSH On Home Network

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Jim Angstadt wrote:

> --- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> >   Thanks for the output.
> >
> > Two observations:
> >
> > - You are using the wrong IP address when ssh'ing
> > from the rh7.2 box to
> >   the rh8.0 box.  rh8.0 is configured for IP address
> > 192.168.0.3, and
> >   you ran ssh to 192.168.0.11.  Try again with .3
>
> Good grief.  You are right.  I can ssh into .3
>
> This is very confusing.  The rh8.0 box was set up with
> a static (I thought) address of .11 and I verified
> that it had .11 at the time with ifconfig.
>
> Just looking at my router, I see 2 dynamic addresses
> and 2 static addresses.  The last time I looked it was
> 1 and 2.  Also, the win98 box was .3 and now it is .2
>
> The rh7.2 box has kept it's .10 address since the
> begining.
>
> I guess that means I messed up the router config.
> somehow.  Now, at least, I'll be working on the right
> problem.
>
> If anyone has a few tips for working with a Netgear
> FR314 router, or a few good links, I would appreciate
> the pointers.

Static IP addresses are configured in the device... check your rh8.0
configuration files and make sure it is not requesting a DHCP address from
the router.

Also make sure that if you want to access the machine using names, you can
set up your internal names in "hosts" files on your various other
machines.  This means that if you _change_ a static IP address in the
device , you will have to alter all of those files on other machines as
well so they will know about the change.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing