2003 Mar 10 16:06

Re: [vox-tech] SSH On Home Network

--- Nino Brown <nino_brown@bad-one.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > Could you give me a starting point for this,
> please.
> > I'm totally ignorant on firewalls and filters.
>
> When you installed 8.0, did you include firewalling?

Hi Nino,

During install I selected medium security and
specified several servers that I wanted to run,
including ssh.

>  The redhat-installed
> firewall blocks out just about everything that is
> not selected as trusted.
> If the machine is already behind a firewall on a
> trusted lan, or if it is
> not connected to the internet, I would disable the
> firewall.

My 3 boxes are behind a Netgear FR314 router which has
a firewall.  I have no idea just how good that
firewall is.

> I'm not sure if 8.0's firewall runs ipchains or
> iptables.  You can check
> by typing "lsmod | grep ipchains".  If you see a
> line there, then you can
> disable the firewall by typing "ipchains -F".  If it
> is running iptables,
> typing "ipchains -F" should disable it.  Let us know
> what happensi.
<snip>

Here are 3 lines from lsmod output:

ipt_REJECT              3736   6  (autoclean)
iptable_filter          2412   1  (autoclean)
ip_tables              14936   2  [ipt_REJECT
iptable_filter]