2003 Mar 07 11:38

[vox-tech] Secure file serving?

Hi everyone, it's good to be back, Thanks to Pete for helping to get my
vox-tech account working again.

I gotta question.  I want to have a secure file server.

I set up a samba server at work.  I can see the samba server from my win2k
box when I'm on my work network.  According to various docs I've read, I
should be able to SSH to my work server from home, do a little ssh tunneling
magic and be able to see the samba server from home (across the internet).
Unfortunately, I've had no joy, and from what I've read the performance
would be disappointing too (this food sucks, and the portions are small
too).

I'd like to have a file server that I can get to from home, work, or when at
a client's site.  I'd like it to be something like SMB so that it will work
well with all my M$ apps and provide file locking and such so that me and my
work mates don't overwrite each other (as opposed to having a sftp client
(gui or not)).

What are my options?

What I think would be really neat (i don't think it exists), is a https web
page I could go to, authenticate, and magically I could then see some
common/shared file systems, and be able to use if from my normal directory
structure (ie. thru windows explorer or from unix "ls"), so that I could
still use it while on a security conscience client site.

Thanks
Jay