2003 Mar 03 11:25

Re: [vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

Re: [vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

> > The first 2 implementations are called:
> > 	Athlon 64 (desktop) for 1-2 way systems
> > 	Opteron for 1-8 way systems (more with extra glue).
>
> you're referring to SMP here?

Yes, er, close enough anyways, technically it's CC-NUMA.

> and neither claw nor sledgehammer will be available to the general
> public till september as of right now?

Er, no, the server chip Opteron is due in April.

> > Not to mention paying $15k for a dual IA64-2 only able to run ia32 code
> > as fast as a PII-300 is kinda silly.
>
> sounds like intel is shooting itself in the foot...

Er it's a completely redesigned server architecture (the first in a decade
or two), designed to last a decade or two for servers.  Competition for
Alpha (RIP), Sun, SGI Mips (RIP) and IBM's Power.

Not saying it's going to be wildly successful, it's just not designed to
run 32 bit apps.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics