2003 Mar 03 11:20

Re: [vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

Re: [vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

begin Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
> > sorry, don't know much about this subject, but i should prolly start to
> > get acquainted with it.
> >
> > i thought hammer == opteron?   wasn't hammer the internal codename for
> > what's now called opteron?
>
> Er, Hammer = code name.  Clawhammer = desktop code name.  Sledgehammer = server
> code name.
>
> Architecture is called x86-64.
>
> The first 2 implementations are called:
> 	Athlon 64 (desktop) for 1-2 way systems
> 	Opteron for 1-8 way systems (more with extra glue).

you're referring to SMP here?

and neither claw nor sledgehammer will be available to the general
public till september as of right now?

> > also, will the itanium "just work" as well?
>
> No, the Itanium is the first implemenation of the IA64 architecture.  The
> current chip is the Itanium-2.  I believe the limited and very slow ia32
> emulation is for user space, not for booting a ia32 based linux distribution.
>
> Not to mention paying $15k for a dual IA64-2 only able to run ia32 code
> as fast as a PII-300 is kinda silly.

sounds like intel is shooting itself in the foot...

pete