2003 Mar 03 11:07

Re: [vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

Re: [vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

> sorry, don't know much about this subject, but i should prolly start to
> get acquainted with it.
>
> i thought hammer == opteron?   wasn't hammer the internal codename for
> what's now called opteron?

Er, Hammer = code name.  Clawhammer = desktop code name.  Sledgehammer = server
code name.

Architecture is called x86-64.

The first 2 implementations are called:
	Athlon 64 (desktop) for 1-2 way systems
	Opteron for 1-8 way systems (more with extra glue).

> also, will the itanium "just work" as well?

No, the Itanium is the first implemenation of the IA64 architecture.  The
current chip is the Itanium-2.  I believe the limited and very slow ia32
emulation is for user space, not for booting a ia32 based linux distribution.

Not to mention paying $15k for a dual IA64-2 only able to run ia32 code
as fast as a PII-300 is kinda silly.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics