2003 Feb 28 13:05

[no subject]

There are special devices that can e plugged into a slot on your system
that register themselves as a bootable device in ranges of memory that
would otherwise be used by a boot device the BIOS might support. One
example is a NIC with a slot for EPROM and net booting.

Beyond the above, you may be able to create a special boot disk that loads
a kernel with args and driver support for an extra device, such that after
the kernel is loaded, it is able to mount an external device as its root -
effectivley permitting you to do a two-step boot into a device not
supported in BIOS as a boot device. Of course this means using that
specially created disk (or whatever) when you want to boot the system to
the unsupported device.

-ME