2003 Feb 28 10:30

Re: [vox-tech] resizing harddrive

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:26:40PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> okay so after backing everything up for 4 hours I did what you said:
>
> The partition is indeed bigger, but not was large as I had expected. It says I
> only have about 36GB free. Here is a df

When Linux says "gigabyte", it means 2^30 bytes. When hard drive
manufacturers say "gigabyte", they mean 10^9 bytes.

You say this is labeled as a 40 GB drive; those are marketing gigabytes.
To convert to "real"* gigabytes, multiply by 10^9/2^30 and get 37.25
gigabytes. Your filesystem has 36.97 GB worth of blocks for data, and
the rest goes to overhead.

Looks like the resize worked just fine to me.

* There's some contention over this; I say a real gigabyte is 2^30
bytes.