January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 27 15:04

Re: [vox-tech] Skipping sound

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:43:14PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:14:09PM -0800, Samuel Merritt wrote:
> > If I have music playing and I move a window around, switch windows, or
> > scroll a window, the music stutters. I'm using XFree86 4.2.1 and ALSA
> > 0.9.0rc2 (defaults for Mandrake 9).
> [...]
> > I've also tried switching between ALSA and OSS. It makes no difference.
>
>   I don't have a solution... but checking a few more details.
>
> - Is the sound source a mp3, ogg, or CD in a CDROM drive?
> - What sound player are you using and have you tried any others?
> - When playing the sound source how busy does "top" or "vmstat 1" show
>   the CPU being?
> - Is the video card AGP or PCI?

  So my mail was delayed do to a local mail problem... I think I have
answers to all of those questions.

could you run the following:
  lspci -vvv
  scanpci -v

... I'm curious what the
  MAX_LAT   0x00  MIN_GNT 0x00  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b
are from scanpci (part of xutils package).  You will need to be root to
run scanpci but not lspci.

  The output will be a little long... I'm thinking that the pci card
might be locking down the bus for too long.  There are supposed to be
a way to limit how many cycles a pci device can hold the bus in a
continuous chunk.  I'm not sure exactly how to change the lengths right
now but figuring it out shouldn't take too long.

  Also have you tried playing sound via a bfp?
something like:
  mpg321 -s sound.mp3 | bfp