January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 26 22:01

Re: [vox-tech] Skipping sound

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:43:21PM -0800, ME wrote:
> Sorry, I went off on a tangent...
>
> If you are using an IDE based disk, and have a secondary drive (hdc or
> hdd) from which reading is taking place, the intensive IRQ shring could
> cause problems. If using a parallel based Zip drive or USB drive from
> which to play the sound file, consider copying the sound file to a
> mounteddir that is on mounted partition that is part of /dev/hda
> somewhere.

I've got a 3ware RAID controller. All my music lives on /dev/sda, which
is a 4-disk RAID-10(stripe of mirrors).

I tried cat'ing the file to /dev/null before playing it so that it would
be in the buffer cache. It still skipped.

> Also, are you into swap extensively when you hear the choppy sound?
> And what drive has your swap?

/dev/sda also has my swap, but I'm only using 32B (yes, bytes) of swap,
out of ~1000MB.

> Peter Jay Salzman said:
>
> > heh.  wasn't quite a request, but thanks anyway.   :)   it was a "your
> > video card is using irq 15.  make sure it's not conflicting with
> > anything".   :)

I checked; the video card is the only thing on IRQ 15. The sound card
and my USB controller share IRQ 11, but I can transfer files at full
speed from my USB keychain-disk without any sound problems.