2003 Feb 27 08:43

[vox-tech] Skipping sound

If I have music playing and I move a window around, switch windows, or
scroll a window, the music stutters. I'm using XFree86 4.2.1 and ALSA
0.9.0rc2 (defaults for Mandrake 9).

This happens in any video mode I try, from 1024x768, 24bpp down to
640x480, 8bpp, though the stuttering is worse in higher resolutions and
color depths.

I've also tried switching between ALSA and OSS. It makes no difference.

The video card is a Matrox Mystique with 4MB video RAM (MGA 1064SG).
The sound card is an onboard CM8738.

I'd heard about problems like this years ago, having to do with the
video card drivers hogging the PCI bus for long periods of time. I
played with the option "PciRetry", found in the mga(4) man page. The
stuttering is the same whether this option is on or off.

Google doesn't come up with any relevant results; I did find a whole
bunch of pages about a setting that goes in system.ini, but I don't have
one of those. =)

--
Samuel Merritt