2003 Feb 23 13:55

Re: [vox-tech] problems installing Debian on a Dell laptop

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 02:50:20AM -0800, Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> I've been using Red Hat for a while now and would like to try Debian.  I

Good. Debian is a good choice.

However, the Debian installation isn't nearly as good at automatically
detecting/configuring hardware as say Redhat/SuSE.

> I had varying levels of success booting from CDs 1-5.  For CD 1, sometimes

Your problem sounds like a defective CD(s) to me. The lugod library as
well as many members in Davis can give you Debian CDs.

For what it's worth..
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. It's not exactly like your 2100, but
I'm sure it has many similarities. For example, there is a nifty kernel
module (Inspiron 2100, 4100, 8100)that allows you to automagically,
or manually, control the laptop's fans.

> Lucent WinModem  :-(

On the linux laptop's page, I have read at least one report of getting
this modem working under linux.

> I would appreciate any advice on how to get Debian installed.  Thanks in
> advance!

My advice is to reinstall Redhat or Suse. Next, save any hardware settings that
debian may not automatically detect during install (ie. video, sound,
etc.). Reinstall debian using CDs that your laptop can read. Lastly, if
the debian install didn't detect/install certain hardware, then try to
manually configure the hardware using  the redhat/suse settings.

Someone on the saclug list has an Inspiron 4100. Might want to try that
list. With help from both lists (and some luck), I'm sure you will get
your laptop working 100% with debian.