2003 Feb 22 22:07

Re: [vox-tech] SBLive Value sound

added the Modprobe to rc.local. Restarting computer has sound.
Thanks for the help Matt
Dwayne

> Dwayne,
>
> Are you saying that after you modprobe as root, sound doesn't work if
> you log out and log back in as another user?  If that's the case, you
> probably do have a permissions problem, as Richard suggested.

if I logout and log back as another user it still works.  Just not if I reboot.

>  However,
> if it's just that it's annoying to log in as root to modprobe the
> driver, then I think you should just be able to add the modprobe command
> to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

I could not SU  and then modprobe the driver. Says command not found.

> Still, it's unusual that you would have to manually configure a
> soundcard (especially SBLive) in RH.  Have you tried running
> "redhat-config-soundcard"?  This seems to be the 8.0 replacement for the
> venerable sndconfig, which always worked for me.  I might add that I
> have the same card, and RH 8.0 detected it automatically after the first
> boot.

RH8.0 detected the SBlive just would not load the driver.
I had to alias audio in Modules.conf and load the module manually.
When I ran the redhat-config-soundcard it says..
Vendor: Creative Labs
Model: SB Live! EMU10K1
Module: Not loaded