2003 Feb 19 23:20

Re: [vox-tech] samba permissions issue

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Ryan wrote:

> I have a public upload directory set up with permissions 775, where I want want
> people in my 'users' group to be able to upload files.
>
> Files that are uploaded are given permissions 755. Using ssh, etc, other users
> can only read the files, like they should. However, I'm finding that over the
> network neighborhood (winbloze), non-owners of a file that are logged in over
> the network, but still belonging to the 'users' group, can delete any of the
> files in the directory. I don't know why this is. smbd is currently running as
> root.

Permission to delete files derives from the write permissions on the
directory from which the file is to be deleted.  The set of people
authorized to create files in a directory is equal to the set of people
authorized to delete or rename files in that directory.  This has nothing
to do with Samba.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing