2003 Feb 17 11:06

Re: [vox-tech] Need Procmail rule

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 12:11:45AM -0800, Harry S wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:13:46PM -0500, msimons@moria.simons-clan.com wrote:
> > ======
> > :0
> > > 8192
> > big_crap
> >
> > ======
>
> Thanks mike. I ended up using:
> :0fw:
> * > 4000
> BIGMAIL
>
> I probably didn't need the 'f' or 'w' or second colon. I'll have to
> review the procmail rules when I have more time.

  Technically the says that there show be a space between ':0' and the
rest of the flags line:
              :0 [flags] [ : [locallockfile] ]
I've not tried merging all the options... but I see plenty of examples
in the documentation which violate those rules, so you should be safe.

  f and w are when you are forwarding mail with a pipe (if the destination
starts with '|' you are sending to a pipe).  You aren't doing that in this
case so I don't think you need those flags.

  The colon says create a custom lock file for this destination rule,
if you don't put it there you are still safe since a global lock file
will be used.  The lock file is supposed to prevent multiple emails which
come in very close together from clobbering each other when two procmail
processes try to append them into the same file.  The documentation talks
about using the default (global lock file) as being "discouraged", but
unless you are regularly getting multiple emails a second there isn't
going to be any difference which lock file name you use.

    TTFN,
      Mike

> I thought the procmail rule would be much more complicated than it was.

  procmail rules are very short in most cases, but can sometime have
unexpected effects.