2003 Feb 14 09:02

Re: [vox-tech] X server help

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:42:21PM -0800, Jennifer Stickel wrote:

> > Have you installed the kernel headers rpm for 2.4.18-24.8.0 ?
> >
> > Try that and rebuild.
> >
> I was able to get the kernel source installed for the version of the
> kernel that I am using.  I checked lsmod and the nvidia module is now
> installed.  However it says that the module is tainted.

The tainting isn't important for our purposes.  It has to do with
Nvidia's driver being closed-source.

> Then when I try to startx I get
>
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available
>
> And in the log file there is a line
>
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia

The Xfree nvidia module should probably be in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia.o
It looks like it isn't there.  Your xfree86log can tell you
where it's looking. (grep -i for nvidia)

Ok, can you try removing (rpm -e) the nvidia_glx and nvidia_kernel
modules, then rpm --rebuild once more time?

If this still fails, I'd like to see the output of:
rpm -qa | grep kernel

as well as your Xfree86.log again and maybe even the XF86Config.

I'm still sort of a [vox-tech] newbie, so I'm not sure how people feel
about clogging up the archives and their inboxes with big, fat files.
You can send them directly to me if you think it's more appropriate.

> Thanks for all the help,

Save that for when X is working and you can play Unreal Tournament
again :)

-troy