January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 13 08:43

Re: [vox-tech] kernel oops resulting in hung processes.

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 11:52 am, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 10:51:20AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin Ryan Castellucci <ryan+lugod@cal.net>
> > > This is not the first time this has happened, but it's really starting
> > > to bug me.
> > >
> > > sda is sometimes a USB device, was not plugged in at the time.
> > >
> > > Anyone know where things went wrong here?
> > >
> > > This error resulted in processes getting hung in the 'D' state (as
> > > reported by top)
> > >
> > > I ended up having to reboot. Any ideas?
> >
> > why not disable devfs and see if this happens again?
> >
> > also, see:
> >
> > /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
> >
> > and why did you reboot?  because of a few processes in the D state?
>
> Once you see this:
> > > Feb 12 04:22:44 windy kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request
> > > at virtual address 3a2061a8
> > > Feb 12 04:22:44 windy kernel:  printing eip:
>
> You're hosed.  Time to reboot.
>
> Ryan, what kind of device is this?  What kernel are you running?
> You might check the kernel Changelogs for anything pertaining to your
> device.  There have been plenty of usb updates in recent months.

I'm running 2.4.18-8.1mdk, an updated kernel for Mandrake 8.2

The usb device is a Compact Flash reader/writer (USB Mass Storage), but it
hadn't been plugged in for days, and I'd properly unmounted it.

Does the paging error have anything to do with swap? Swap is one interesting
thing about my setup...... I'm running swap on an encrypted loopback
partition.

# swapoff -s
Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/loop/3                     partition       1602208 200     -1
# losetup /dev/loop/3
/dev/loop/3: [0007]:454 (/dev/hda3) offset 0, AES128 encryption

If this is indeed swap related, I can disable the swap encryption, since I
really don't need the security.

- --