2003 Feb 12 23:46

Re: [vox-tech] kernel oops resulting in hung processes.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 10:51:20AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Ryan Castellucci <ryan+lugod@cal.net>
> >
> > This is not the first time this has happened, but it's really starting to bug me.
>
> > sda is sometimes a USB device, was not plugged in at the time.
> >
> > Anyone know where things went wrong here?
> >
> > This error resulted in processes getting hung in the 'D' state (as
> > reported by top)
> >
> > I ended up having to reboot. Any ideas?
>
> why not disable devfs and see if this happens again?
>
> also, see:
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
>
> and why did you reboot?  because of a few processes in the D state?

Once you see this:
> > Feb 12 04:22:44 windy kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request
> > at virtual address 3a2061a8
> > Feb 12 04:22:44 windy kernel:  printing eip:

You're hosed.  Time to reboot.

Ryan, what kind of device is this?  What kernel are you running?
You might check the kernel Changelogs for anything pertaining to your
device.  There have been plenty of usb updates in recent months.

> --
> First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win. -- Gandhi, being prophetic about Linux.

Sweet.

-troy

--
no cool .sig