2003 Feb 12 10:49

[Fwd: [vox-tech] corrupted ext3 filesystem]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [vox-tech] corrupted ext3 filesystem
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:03:32 -0800
From: Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@netscape.net>
To: vox-tech <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>

Thanks, Pete, for correctly guessing that my xmms/rpm problems were due
to a corrupted filesystem. I have managed to fix the filesystem with
fsck (many, many errors) and reload the two affected programs with rpm.

I would like to solicit some help and comments about what may have
caused my system to become corrupt and how to prevent this from
happening in the future. Please know that I am relatively new to Linux.

A while back I posted a message asking about some occasional umount
errors during shutdown. My post must have seemed uninteresting because
no one responded, which was fine because it didn't seem to be causing
any problems. However, I now wonder if this is related my filesystem
corrupting on me. Every time I shutdown or reboot, I get this message:

kjournald[150] exited with preempt count 1

_Occasionaly_ I get half a dozen umount and umount2 errors that fly by
so quickly I can't write them down. As I posted before, I am not able
to find a system log file with these shutdown messages either. During
bootup of Linux after these umount errors, it lets me know that there
was a problem and does a filesystem check. This was actually how I was
able to run fsck today to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if these types of messages are common? Could they be
related to a filesystem corrupting?

I should mention that my machine is a laptop which does get jostled
quite a bit during my bike commute. In the old days of DOS, I remember
"parking" hardrives on shutdown to prevent damage. Is this at all
related to unmounting filesystems on shutdown? I am definitely showing
my ignorance here.

I meant to also add these points. Pete suggested I look in my system logs for "diskseek" errors. The only thing I thought was close was this error:

Feb 11 09:07:24 chms-hp4 kernel: isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=0b:00, iso_blknum=16, block=16

This error did occur at about the time of my first noticeable problem.

Also, my system is dual boot WinXP pro, and RH8, with a custom kernal. The mounted partitions are:

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 ext3 6.2G 3.2G 2.7G 54% /
/dev/hda2 ext3 99M 13M 81M 14% /boot
none tmpfs 235M 0 235M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda5 vfat 5.8G 2.3G 3.5G 40% /Documents

with /dev/hda1 being WinXP, which I normally do not mount.

Thanks in advance for reading this long message and for any comments you have.

Jonathan