January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 11 16:23

[vox-tech] corrupted ext3 filesystem

Thanks, Pete, for correctly guessing that my xmms/rpm problems were due to a corrupted filesystem. I have managed to fix the filesystem with fsck (many, many errors) and reload the two affected programs with rpm.

I would like to solicit some help and comments about what may have caused my system to become corrupt and how to prevent this from happening in the future. Please know that I am relatively new to Linux.

A while back I posted a message asking about some occasional umount errors during shutdown. My post must have seemed uninteresting because no one responded, which was fine because it didn't seem to be causing any problems. However, I now wonder if this is related my filesystem corrupting on me. Every time I shutdown or reboot, I get this message:

kjournald[150] exited with preempt count 1

_Occasionaly_ I get half a dozen umount and umount2 errors that fly by so quickly I can't write them down. As I posted before, I am not able to find a system log file with these shutdown messages either. During bootup of Linux after these umount errors, it lets me know that there was a problem and does a filesystem check. This was actually how I was able to run fsck today to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if these types of messages are common? Could they be related to a filesystem corrupting?

I should mention that my machine is a laptop which does get jostled quite a bit during my bike commute. In the old days of DOS, I remember "parking" hardrives on shutdown to prevent damage. Is this at all related to unmounting filesystems on shutdown? I am definitely showing my ignorance here.