2003 Feb 11 13:07

Re: [vox-tech] X server help

I have a RH8.0 machine with a graphics card using a newer NVIDIA chip and also have had
problems with X with each kernel upgrade; the secret is that NVIDIA has their own drivers.
I'm at the 2.4.18-24.8.0 kernel and had to use the NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm & NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm driver patches from NVIDIA to get things working properly.
They have pretty good instructions on their web site. I've learned that 'rpmbuild --rebuild' with the *.src.rpm files is a better method than using the precompiled rpms.

Try the URL: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and select the 'Linux IA32 Display Drivers ' link.

Regards,
Jeff DeFay
jfdefay@acm.org

Jennifer Stickel wrote:

Hi all,
I am having technical difficulties with XFree86. A while back, I
tried to update my video drivers. It worked for the setup that I had
but not with any of the update that came out (I am using RH 8.0). So
recently I tried to get my video card to work with the newer kernel
version available. Now I have lost all ability to use X. I tried
uninstalling my drivers and it won't rebuild the newest source rpm. I
then tried downloading the newest version of XFree86 binaries. They
seem to install correctly and the configuration script runs, but doesn't
make my mouse work properly. Then when I type startx at the prompt, it
tries to start X but then I get the error message

PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
Failed to initialize core devices

Can anyone help me to figure out how to get X back and running on
machine?

Machine Specs:
Dell Optiplex
512 MB RAM