2003 Feb 10 21:50

Re: [vox-tech] cgi-bin in user home dirs

--- Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net> wrote:
> Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > --- Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net> wrote:
> > > Jim Angstadt wrote:
<snip>

> > Thanks for the help.  I added both items to
> > httpd.conf and then restarted httpd.  Then I
> > keyed http://localhost/~ja/cgi-ja/test.cgi into
> > the browser location bar and got a "Not Found"
> > response.
> >

> This is expected. CGI scripts are not intended to
> be called directly from the browser, instead they
> are executed from the HTML post operation
> located inside of a <FORM action="/cgi-ja/...">
> tag.

Thanks again for your help Tim.

Most of my local cgi scripts are called directly from
an html link, not a form.  They have the html, css,
and perl spread over several virtual pages.  So I was
expecting that to be doable on a server.  (they are
just fun scripts, not mandatory or business.)

Also, it seems funny to have the test cgi script be
callable (from a browser) from one location but not
another.

But, if that's a real limit, then I need to rethink my
approach.  I had planned to get the scripts working on
linux locally (they work on Window 98 and Apache,
locally) and then move them to a friend's server.

> I think your intention is to have different users
> access their HTML files from their home directories.
> The key Apache configuration tag for this is
> "DocumentRoot".

I apologize for not stating my intentions.  I had
hoped to have the scripts running on a server so that
the server admin and I could play with a variety of
"potentially useful" site enhancements.  For example,
a non-email comments form.  Or a script that "draws"
geometric shapes.

While I try to get smarter on Apache, I'd love to hear
 any other ideas.

---
Jim

> This might be achieved by linking
> an html subdirectory in their home directory
> to where ever "DocumentRoot" point to.
>
> Example: ln -s /home/ja/html /var/www/html/ja
>
> Again, this is just a guess.

<more snipping>